Monday, December 3, 2012

Who I Think Should Play in the National Championship Game by: Jackson McNamara

As you all know, the #1 ranked Notre Dame Fighting Irish will play the #2 ranked Alabama Crimson Tide in the National Championship Game on January 7th. Although the rankings are #1 and #2, and obviously the #1 and #2 ranked teams should play in the National Championship, I feel like this isn't the matchup that most of us college football fans would like to see.

I know that some people may not like my opinions, but hey, it's just an opinion. Obviously my two cents, are exactly that. The National Championship on January 7th will be what it will be, and whether I'm right or not, will not matter one bit.

But you're here reading this, so I assume I haven't lost your interest yet.

The Crimson Tide have been incredible this year. Their only loss being to Texas A&M (led by Mr. Johnny Football!) 29-24. A very good game that could have went either way. I do think that Alabama belongs in the National Championship. With AJ McCarron leading the offensive attack. With Eddie Lacy and TJ Yeldon in the backfield. And with Amari Cooper, Kenny Bell and Kevin Norwood spreading defenses thin, Nick Sabin's Crimson Tide should be in the National Championship Game.

Now, as far as Notre Dame goes. I feel they are a good team. They did beat Michigan, Michigan State, Stanford, and Oklahoma. However, I feel if their schedule was a little tougher, they very well could have tasted defeat. Yes their defense is ranked #1 at points allowed, only giving up 10.3 per game. And yes, Manti Te'o is a phenomenal defensive player. But I don't feel Notre Dame should be in the National Championship.

The team I feel deserves to play Alabama, is the Oregon Ducks. With their high-tempo, aggressive offense that is averaging 50.8 points per game, I feel this is the best matchup for the Crimson Tide. The Ducks are led by freshman QB Marcus Mariota. They have weapons such as Kenjon Barner, De'Anthony Thomas, Josh Huff and Colt Lyerla. To see this Ducks offense take on the Crimson Tide defense to me would be a great matchup, and would most likely be a lot of fun for us fans.

Notre Dame's defense is ranked higher than Alabama's by a very small margin, but I feel if Notre Dame had to face more offenses like the Oregon Ducks, they wouldn't be able to keep up. Honestly, I'm not sure if Alabama's defense could keep up with the Ducks offense, but I think their defense would be the one to be able to put a muzzle on the Ducks.

Saturday, January 7th, we will not see Alabama take on Oregon. And that's fine. Rankings are rankings, and the way everything went down this season we will see the Fighting Irish take on the Crimson Tide. I'm sure it'll be a great matchup. I just feel like the matchup that I came up with would have been more entertaining.

Remember, this was just my opinion. If you disagree, that's fine. I did not write this to offense Notre Dame, or any other sports team fans. I just wanted to air my opinion. Thank you for reading. I hope I don't lose one of my 12 followers for this.

- Jackson McNamara
@jacksonmcnamara

No comments:

Post a Comment